These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Sentinel KSMO Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor a conservative perspective. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to occasionally using poor sources and not aligning with the consensus of science on some issues.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded on January 30, 2017, Sentinel KSMO or The Sentinel is a conservative news website primarily focused on Kansas and Western Missouri. According to their about page, “We hold government and mainstream media accountable for providing complete, accurate and unbiased information so that citizens can make their own informed decisions on matters of public policy.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Sentinel is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kansas Policy Institute, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. “Kansas Policy Institute (KPI) is a free-market think tank, one of many listed as members of the State Policy Network (SPN).” Both KPI and SPN are members of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC).” Donations generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Sentinel uses emotional headlines, such as: “Saudi Billionaire Busted for Corruption Helped Obama Get Into Harvard.” Although they generally source credible media, they usually spin their stories to favor the right. Some stories are also sourced to factually mixed sources such as ALEC or not sourced at all with hyperlinks.
Editorially, they favor a conservative perspective such as opposition to mask and vaccine mandates, fear of critical race theory, and an indirect hinting of climate change denialism such as this Global Warming Alert: 9-Below in KC on Sunday, Trump Chides Media. When covering Covid-19, they do not deny its existence, but they minimize the severity Johnson County withholds data used to create misleading COVID chart.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Sentinel KSMO Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor a conservative perspective. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to occasionally using poor sources and not aligning with the consensus of science on some issues. (M. Huitsing 11/14/2017) Updated (11/10/2021)
Last Updated on November 10, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am