These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate the Knoxville News Sentinel Least Biased for news reporting and slightly right-leaning editorially. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean news fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1886, The Knoxville News Sentinel is a daily newspaper in Knoxville, Tennessee. Knoxnews.com has won many national awards, including winning three 2008 Digital Edge Awards from the Newspaper Association of America. The current editor is Jack McElroy.
Funded by / Ownership
The Knoxville News Sentinel is owned by Gannett (Gatehouse Media), which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Knoxville News Sentinel utilizes local reporters for local news stories and republishes content from the Associated Press and USA Today for national news. In actual news stories, there is little use of loaded language, however, editorial pieces do utilize emotional wording such as this: Hypocritical politically motivated feminism is killing #MeToo. Just ask Keith Ellison. In 2008, the Knoxville News Sentinel stopped endorsing Presidential candidates after a long history of selecting Republicans. They still endorse local politicians with slight favoritism to Republican candidates.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a news fact check, although some of their opinion columnists have, but not directly tied to the paper.
Overall, we rate the Knoxville News Sentinel Least Biased for news reporting and slightly right-leaning editorially. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean news fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/24/2018) Updated (5/17/2020)
Last Updated on May 17, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am