These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Kansas Policy Institute Right biased based on story selection and policy issues that favor the right. We rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on the use of other Mixed factual sources, connections to known groups that do not recognize the consensus of science on climate change, and those that promote propaganda.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Launched in 1996, Kansas Policy Institute or KPI, is a Wichita, Kansas based think tank, focusing on state and local policy issues in Kansas, and describing itself as advocates for free-market solutions. The Chairman and co-founder of the Kansas Policy Institute is George Pearson. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of Atlas Network and he also served as a director for the Libertarian Cato Institute and the Institute for Humane Studies, among many other organizations. George Pearson according to a Politico article is a former member of the John Birch Society in Wichita, which has been described as a radical right organization that promotes conspiracies. In this article, sourcing a book written by Clayton A. Coppin, who is a researcher from George Mason University, summarizes Pearson’s arguments “It would be necessary to use ambiguous and misleading names, obscure the true agenda, and conceal the means of control. This is the method that Charles Koch would soon practice in his charitable giving, and later in his political actions.”
Dave Trabert is the President of the Kansas Policy Institute and according to Sourcewatch is a member of ALEC’s Tax and Fiscal Policy Task Force and Barry Poulson and Jonathan Williams both from KPI, are also associated with the same ALEC task force. Poulson as an adviser and Williams on staff as the task force director. “ALEC has pushed for repealing the Affordable Care Act, has opposed Medicaid expansion, and has endorsed rolling back environmental regulations. Alec pushed the Trump administration to rescind federal findings that greenhouse gas emissions are harmful, a move that even ExxonMobil opposes.”
The Kansas Policy Institute’s mission statement indicates “We engage citizens and policymakers with research and information to enact public policy solutions that protect the constitutional right to freedom of all Kansans, give them greater access to better educational opportunities, and allow them to keep more of what they earn.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Kansas Policy Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that is held by a board of trustees and is funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, KPI uses strong emotional language in its headlines such as “19 U.S. Senators promoting tyranny”. The Kansas Policy Institute utilizes credible right-center biased sources such as the Wall Street Journal, however, they also utilize factually mixed sources such as the Daily Signal and questionable sources such as the Washington Times. Most articles on the website favor right-leaning causes such as endorsement of private/charter schools over the public, lower taxes and government spending as well as receiving funding and endorsement by those who do not support the consensus of science regarding climate change.
Overall, we rate Kansas Policy Institute Right biased based on story selection and policy issues that favor the right. We rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on the use of other Mixed factual sources, connections to known groups that do not recognize the consensus of science on climate change, and those that promote propaganda. (M. Huitsing 3/27/2018) Updated (7/12/2018)
Last Updated on October 9, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am