These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Santa Barbara Independent Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
The Santa Barbara Independent was created from the merger of the Santa Barbara News & Review (established 1973) And The Santa Barbara Weekly (established 1984). The Santa Barbara Independent then implemented Web-based columns and news articles at independent.com. Independent is an online community newspaper that includes news stories, arts, local politics, reviews of restaurants, and culture.
Funded by / Ownership
Brandi Rivera is the owner and publisher of the Santa Barbara Independent. Revenue is derived through subscription fees and classifieds.
Analysis / Bias
The Santa Barbara Independent is an alternative newspaper serving the city of Santa Barbara and the surrounding communities. The paper covers local news, entertainment, lifestyle, politics, sports, and business. Articles and headlines use moderately loaded emotional language such as this Water War Breaks Out as Drought Descends.
Editorially, on opinion pieces, the paper leans towards the left with the choice of words such as this referrng to former President Trump: Our Disloyal President White Supremacist Violence Is Not an Issue with ‘Many Sides’ and this supporting women right’s Respect for Women in Politics Remains in Short Supply. In general, they report news factually and with moderate liberal bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Santa Barbara Independent Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 8/15/2017) Updated (8/21/2021)
Last Updated on August 21, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds