The Santa Barbara News-Press is a daily newspaper in Southern California, publishing since 1868. Dave Mason serves as managing editor.
Funded by / Ownership
Ampersand Publishing owns the Santa Barbara-News Press. Advertising and subscription fees generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
According to an NYT article, Wendy McCaw has been the paper’s owner since the year 2000. In 2006, McCaw was accused of interfering with the newsroom editorial judgment at the News-Press. According to an L.A. Times article, “Five editors and a columnist resigned over the controversy,” and according to Politico, the News-Press endorsed Donald Trump: “These Are the Only 6 Newspapers in the Country to Endorse Donald Trump”. The paper includes news stories, local news, national and world news, sports, editorials, and classified coverage.
Articles and headlines of local news coverage contain minimal emotional language, such as this Litigation anticipated against Ty Warner and Four Seasons. The national news is provided by reporters and has minimal bias, such as this FDA expected to approve Pfizer vaccine Monday.
Editorially, the Santa Barbara News-Press endorsed Donald Trump for President in 2020 Why we are again endorsing Donald Trump for president. A review of op-eds demonstrates that almost all of them favor a conservative perspective, such as this Conservative solutions for major problems and Olympics remind us why nationalism is necessary. Finally, during the 2020 election, they promoted the election fraud narrative, which has been debunked: Trump supporters right to doubt election.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Santa Barbara News-Press Right Biased based on strongly right-leaning editorial positions. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of conspiracy theories related to the Presidential election of 2020. (M. Huitsing 8/17/2017) Updated (05/17/2022)
Last Updated on May 17, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm