These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Refinery29 Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to a failed check and a lack of transparency regarding the editor.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2005 as a “localized New York guide for independent boutiques and shops” by Justin Stefano, Philippe von Borries, Piera Gelardi, and Christene Barberich, Refinery29 (R29) today is a Millenial female-focused lifestyle entertainment website that is based in New York. They also publish a UK and German edition. Refinery29 defines its aim to “inspire, entertain, and empower our audience through optimistic and diverse storytelling.” Refinery29 covers a wide variety of topics from fashion, beauty, money to lifestyle, film and TV projects, art, and fashion events (29Rooms). Vice Media Group acquired Refinery29 in 2019. Nancy Dubuc is the chief executive of Vice. It is not clear who is the director or editor of Refinery29.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In review, Refinery29 publishes articles with emotionally loaded language such as “New Bodycam Video Shows Georgia Police Attempting To Tase Ahmaud Arbery In 2017” and “What It’s Really Like To Be Undocumented & In College” Further, Refinery29 typically utilizes credible sources such as American Psychological Association (APA), USAToday, Migration Policy Institute, uscis.gov. Wall Street Journal, and AP News. Refinery29 also publishes essays such as “Why Should Single Women “Settle Down”?” and “Reddit’s Dirtiest Pick-Up Lines Will Make You Blush.”
Editorially, Refinery29 holds left-leaning social positions such as advocacy for feminism, LGBTQ Rights, abortion rights, and concern for human-influenced climate change. Further, when reporting on conservatives, they often hold negative views such as this Here’s The Latest COVID-19 Conspiracy Theory, Courtesy Of Eric Trump. In general, the news is reported mostly factually with a strong left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate Refinery29 Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them Mostly Factual rather than High due to a failed check and a lack of transparency regarding the editor. (M. Huitsing 5/20/2020)
Last Updated on June 17, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black Main Streetby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WCAXby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Science.Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 8:00 am