These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Migration Policy Institute Left-Center Biased based on liberal immigration policy and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Migration Policy Institute (MPI) is a non-partisan think tank established in 2001 by Kathleen Newland and Demetrios G. Papademetriou. According to their about page: “The Migration Policy Institute (MPI) is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit think tank in Washington, DC dedicated to analysis of the movement of people worldwide.”
Funded by / Ownership
MPI is funded by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Migration Policy Institute has a left leaning position regarding immigration. They are in favor of easier immigration and more humane policies toward illegal immigrants and refugees. Topic selection generally favors the left and uses minimal loaded words. For example, in this article they criticize the Trump administration’s policy toward immigration without the use of loaded language: Judge’s Pause of Trump Travel Ban Takes Page from Republican Challenge to Obama Executive Action on DACA. All information is sourced to credible media or government based and/or .org websites. The Migration Policy Institute is often cited by credible fact checkers due to their well researched information.
A factual search reveals one failed fact check.
- No, Amnesty International does not say 60 percent of migrant women in Mexico have been raped – FALSE
Overall, we rate the Migration Policy Institute Left-Center Biased based on liberal immigration policy and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a reasonable fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/9/2018) Updated (06/18/2020)
Last Updated on June 18, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: il Giornaleby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:15 am
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm