These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Real News Network (TRNN) Left biased based on story selection that favors the left but with minimally loaded wording. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2007 by Paul Jay, The Real News (TRNN) is a nonprofit, alternative media viewer-supported daily video news and documentary service. TRNN describes itself as a news source “focused on providing independent and uncompromising journalism.” Paul Jay currently serves as the network’s CEO and senior editor. According to their about page, “The Real News Network (TRNN) produces independent, verifiable, fact-based journalism that engages ordinary people in solving the critical problems of our times.”
The Real News is also available on Xfinity video on demand and Roku.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Real News covers information via video and written reports with a left-leaning bias in story selection. Headlines contain minimal to moderately loaded wording: Climate Activists Protest Trump California Public Lands Fracking Plan. This story is well sourced to CNBC, Capitol Weekly, and the Associated Press, among others. There is a link to a TRNN video: Activists Push Back Against Conservative Threat to Safe and Legal Abortion in another story. Editorially, TRNN supports more progressive candidates such as this: The DCCC’s Anti-Progressive Policy Might Be Backfiring. TRNN also frequently conducts interviews with notable people such as Noam Chomsky. The Real News Network generally publishes news that leans left based on story selection and with proper sourcing.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate The Real News Network (TRNN) Left biased based on story selection that favors the left but with minimally loaded wording. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact check record. (5/18/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 9/29/2021)
Last Updated on September 29, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Taliban enforces face-cover order for female TV anchorsby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am