Pseudoscience: Consists of statements, beliefs, or practices that are claimed to be both scientific and factual but are incompatible with the scientific method (unproven, not testable, or opposed to the consensus of traditional science).
Definition: The application of pressure rather than needles on specific points on the body to control symptoms such as pain or nausea. Acupressure is often thought of as simply acupuncture without the needles. Acupressure practitioners use their fingers, palms, elbows or feet, or special devices to apply pressure to acupoints on the body’s meridians.
Reasoning: Like many alternative medicines, it may benefit from a placebo effect and it may reduce muscle tension, however, there isn’t evidence of the existence of body meridians. Trials using placebo have not demonstrated any statistically significant effect but concluded that acupressure is safe to use along with conventional treatment. Quackwatch says acupressure is a dubious practice and its practitioners use irrational methods.
- Quackademic medicine and acupressure at my alma mater
- Acupressure Points and Massage Treatment
- The Efficacy of Acupressure for Symptom Management: A Systematic Review
Conclusion: Acupressure is considered safe and potentially effective in reducing muscle tension, however, placebo studies have shown little benefit for larger claims such as controlling motion sickness and nausea.
Last Updated on September 16, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am