A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be untrustworthy and should be fact-checked per article. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Perez Hilton, Left Biased, and Questionable due to a lack of transparency, misleading sensationalized headlines, and a few failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Lack of Transparency, Sensationalism, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Perezhilton.com was founded in 2004 by Mario Armando Lavandeira Jr, an American blogger who publishes celebrity gossip and news. He is also an author of 3 books. According to their about page, “Cubano and Miami native Perez Hilton is the internet’s most notorious gossip columnist.” They also state, “Perez was named the #1 Web Celeb for 2007, 2008, and 2009 by Forbes Magazine and has recently been tapped as one of the 15 most influential Hispanics in the US by People in Espanol and named 2009 Hispanic of the Year by Hispanic Magazine.”
The website lacks transparency as they do not name authors or openly disclose ownership.
Funded by / Ownership
Perez Hilton does not openly state ownership; however, it is presumed to be owned by Mario Armando Lavandeira Jr. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Perez Hilton reports celebrity gossip and entertainment news with loaded sensational wording such as this Megan Fox & Machine Gun Kelly ARE ‘Hooking Up’ — And She’s ‘Excited’ About It! and this Twitter Is Thirsty AF Over Pauly D’s Quarantine Beard!. Reporting usually comes from other sources and is appropriately hyperlinked in the articles. Mainly, article headlines are designed to be hyper-sensational to encourage the reader to click through.
Perez Hilton also reports on politics with a strong left-leaning bias. For example, they frequently denigrate former President Donald Trump, such as this: Trump Says The Quiet Part Loud In BONKERS Fox & Friends Interview!. They also go after conservatives such as this That Didn’t Take Long… Conservatives Are Now Attacking The Florida High School Shooting Survivors… In general, Perez Hilton is a clickbait celebrity gossip site that is not always factual and lacks transparency.
Failed Fact Checks
- Ariana Grande contacted the families of those who died in the Manchester Arena attack, and will pay for their funerals. – Unproven
- We are hearing very loud rumblings that Cuban dictator Fidel Castro has died – False
- Jaclyn Smith was rushed to the hospital, the victim of an apparent suicide attempt. – False
Overall, we rate Perez Hilton, Left Biased, and Questionable due to a lack of transparency, misleading sensationalized headlines, and a few failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 5/19/2020) Updated (07/21/2022)
Last Updated on July 21, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am