A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Perez Hilton, Left Biased and Questionable due to a lack of transparency, misleading sensationalized headlines, and a few failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Lack of Transparency, Sensationalism, Failed Fact Checks
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Perezhilton.com was founded in 2004 by Mario Armando Lavandeira Jr, who is an American blogger that publishes celebrity gossip and news. He is also an author of 3 books. According to their about page “Cubano and Miami native, Perez Hilton is the internet’s most notorious gossip columnist.” They also state “Perez was named the #1 Web Celeb for 2007, 2008, and 2009 by Forbes Magazine and has recently been tapped as one of the 15 most influential Hispanics in the US by People in Espanol and named 2009 Hispanic of the Year by Hispanic Magazine.”
The website lacks transparency as they do not name authors or openly disclose ownership.
Funded by / Ownership
Perez Hilton does not openly state ownership, however, it is presumed to be owned by Mario Armando Lavandeira Jr. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Perez Hilton reports celebrity gossip and entertainment news with loaded sensational wording such as this Megan Fox & Machine Gun Kelly ARE ‘Hooking Up’ — And She’s ‘Excited’ About It! and this Twitter Is Thirsty AF Over Pauly D’s Quarantine Beard!. Reporting usually comes from other sources and is appropriately hyperlinked in the articles. For the most part article headlines are designed to be hyper-sensational to encourage the reader to click through.
Perez Hilton also reports on politics with a strong left-leaning bias. For example, they frequently denigrate President Donald Trump such as this: Trump Says The Quiet Part Loud In BONKERS Fox & Friends Interview!. They also go after conservatives such as this That Didn’t Take Long… Conservatives Are Now Attacking The Florida High School Shooting Survivors… In general, Perez Hilton is a clickbait celebrity gossip site that is not always factual and lacks transparency.
Failed Fact Checks
- Ariana Grande contacted the families of those who died in the Manchester Arena attack, and will pay for their funerals. – Unproven
- We are hearing very loud rumblings that Cuban dictator Fidel Castro has died – False
- Jaclyn Smith was rushed to the hospital, the victim of an apparent suicide attempt. – False
Overall, we rate Perez Hilton, Left Biased and Questionable due to a lack of transparency, misleading sensationalized headlines, and a few failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 5/19/2020)
Last Updated on May 19, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am