A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate the Patriot Journal Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, the use of poor sources, lack of transparency, and a few failed fact checks.
Questionable Reasoning: Conspiracy Theories, Propaganda, Poor Sourcing, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2016, The Patriot Journal is a right-leaning news and opinion website. According to their about page, “Patriot Journal is dedicated to giving America-loving patriots access to the news the mainstream media won’t report. We aim to give our readers the right perspective on the political news of the day, no matter how unpopular it may be, written by hardworking Americans for hardworking Americans.” The Patriot Journal website does not list an editor but does provide some author bios.
Funded by / Ownership
The Patriot Journal does not list the owner of the website; however, the website is owned by Ryan Mauldin through Viral Media Partners LLC. Ryan Mauldin also owns Vici Media Group, a political consulting company that has worked on several Republican campaigns, including former President Trump in 2016. Advertising and sponsored content generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Patriot Journal does not produce original content but instead takes a story from a single, usually right-biased source and editorializes it. For example, in this story: Democrats Dazed By Trump’s New Welfare Rule – He Saves Taxpayers $150B. In this story, the primary sources are the right biased and Questionable Western Journal and Fox News. In this article, the author, Adam Casalino, adds many biased statements such as: “It’s a sick cycle, but Trump is finally bringing it to an end.” and “America is the land of the free–not the land of the free lunch.” The website also breaks the news down into categories by singling out socialism (which is negative) and Border Wall (positive).
Editorially all stories favor the right and denigrate the left. Further, they have promoted false and misleading information regarding election fraud during the 2020 presidential election.
Failed Fact Checks
- “Swing State Hit With 2020 Voting Lawsuit – Accused Of Registering Over 1,500 Deceased People In Pennsylvania.” – Mostly False
- “Money raised to help (Beto) O’Rourke get elected is being used to fund migrants. This is clearly breaking campaign finance laws.” – False
- “If you cross the border illegally in the U.S., you get a Drivers License, Medical Insurance, housing, career training, the right to vote…” – False
Overall, we rate the Patriot Journal Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, the use of poor sources, lack of transparency, and a few failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 2/21/2019) Updated (10/9/2021)
Last Updated on October 9, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am