A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Occupy Democrats Questionable due to extreme left wing bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracies as well the publication of fake news as evidence by numerous failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Extreme Left, Propaganda, Conspiracies, Some Fake News
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
According to their about page “Occupy Democrats is a political organization and information website that provides a counterbalance to the Republican Tea Party. It has grown into the largest and most active community of Democratic voters in the world. It was Founded in late 2012 by Omar and Rafael Rivero.
Occupydemocrats.com is the website associated with their popular Facebook page that has over 7 million followers. In a 2017 survey among US readers, it was voted the “least trusted news source” among American readers, just below Breitbart and BuzzFeed.
Funded by / Ownership
Occupy Democrats is owned by Omar and Rafael Rivero. Omar Rivero also owns the liberal website Washington Press, which we have rated left biased and mixed for factual reporting. Occupy Democrats is funded though advertising and sponsored content.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Occupy Democrats website has not been updated with news content since July 2018, therefore will evaluate their older content as well as their Facebook postings. Articles on the website use strongly loaded words that favor the left such as: Trump Just Made Bizarre Collusion Accusations In This Morning’s Twitter Rant. This article is properly sourced to Politico as well as President Trump’s tweets. Other articles reviewed were also properly sourced to outlets such as the Charlotte Observer and NBC News, however they also sourced to factually Mixed outlets such as Raw Story. In general story selection always favors the left.
A review of the Occupy Democrats Facebook page shows many left wing memes being posted as well as news articles that always favor the left and denigrate the right.
A factual search reveals a very poor track record with IFCN Fact Checkers. Below is a list of just a few of their many failed fact checks.
- Says President Barack Obama “has taken less vacation days than any other president in a generation,” while Congress “has taken more vacation days than any other Congress in history.” – PANTS ON FIRE
- Says Bobby Jindal’s parents “used his birthright citizenship to become Americans, making him an anchor baby.” – PANTS ON FIRE
- Bruce Springsteen called Donald Trump an “asshole” on Twitter, signing off with the pro-Clinton hashtag #ImWithHer. – FALSE
- After actions by Gov. Scott Walker and Republicans, Wisconsin “is dead broke.”– PANTS ON FIRE
- Says Ted Cruz “was just bribed by the Kochs to introduce a bill that would give them and their allies America’s national forests, parks, and other public lands and open them for mining, drilling, fracking and logging.”– PANTS ON FIRE