These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Newsy slightly Left-Center biased based on story selection that favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2008, Newsy is a national news network that creates video journalism. The goal is for these videos to be easily digestible on both mobile and web platforms. According to their about page, “Newsy is your source for concise, unbiased video news and analysis covering the top stories from around the world.”
Newsy has six U.S.-based offices in Columbia, Missouri; Chicago; Cincinnati; New York; Denver; and Washington, D.C. Their content is found on platforms including Comcast Xfinity, Charter Spectrum, Cox, Sling TV, AT&T U-verse, and YouTube TV, in addition to set-top streaming devices and services such as Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and Hulu. You can find a full list of staff here.
Funded by / Ownership
In 2014, Newsy was bought for 35 million by The E. W. Scripps Company, an American broadcasting company founded in 1878 by Edward Willis “E. W.” Scripps. Newsy is funded through digital advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Newsy is a video news network that produces short-form video news pieces that provide breaking news and updates across U.S. and world news, policy and politics, science and health, entertainment, technology, business, and sports. In general, Newsy creates video news stories from their own journalists and then attaches the written transcript, which helps those who would prefer to read (such as me). Article/video headlines use minimally loaded language such as this “New Bill Would Prevent Trump From Unilaterally Withdrawing From NATO.” The accompanying transcripts provide hyperlinked sourcing to credible media outlets such as govinfo.gov, law.cornell.edu, dod.defense.gov, the El Paso Times, and CNN.
When it comes to science reporting, they support the consensus of science in all fields. Editorially, there is a slight left-leaning bias in story selection that favors the left.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Newsy slightly Left-Center biased based on story selection that favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (11/21/2017) Updated (D. Van Zandt 1/18/2019) Updated (3/14/2021)
Last Updated on April 5, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am