- Overall, we rate NC Policy Watch Left Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the progressive left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency.
|Factual Reporting:||MOSTLY FACTUAL|
|Country:||USA (45/180 Press Freedom)|
|Traffic/Popularity Estimate:||Minimal Traffic|
|MBFC Credibility Rating:||MEDIUM CREDIBILITY|
NC Policy Watch‘ is a North Carolina public-policy think tank co-founded by Chris Fitzsimon and the A.J. Fletcher Foundation. The organization works in numerous public policy fields including issues of poverty, health care, mental health issues, transportation, and tax reform. According to their about page “NC Policy Watch, a project of the North Carolina Justice Center, is a news and commentary outlet dedicated to informing the public — including elected officials as they debate important issues — and ultimately to improving the quality of life for all North Carolinians.” They further state “The list of specific issues tackled over the years by the Policy Watch staff is a long one and includes state fiscal policy, voting rights, health care policy, K-12 and higher education, LGBTQ and immigrant rights, racism and racial discrimination, government and lobbying reform, environmental protection, reproductive freedom, sexual discrimination, affordable housing, gun violence, criminal justice reform, consumer protection and many, many more.”
There is a lack of transparency as they do not disclose their political affiliation or their donors.
Funded by / Ownership
NC Policy Watch is a Nonprofit project of the North Carolina Justice Center, which states its “mission is to eliminate poverty in North Carolina by ensuring that every household in the state has access to the resources, services, and fair treatment it needs to achieve economic security.” Revenue is derived through donations, however, there is a lack of transparency on the website regarding donors. In doing some digging we found that they received funding from the Hopewell Fund, which in-turn donated 4.9 million to Priorities USA, a Super PAC supporting the Democratic party.
Analysis / Bias
In review, NC Policy Watch reports on public policy in NC from a progressive-liberal perspective. Articles and headlines contain moderate, but usually, minimally loaded language such as this Bill to allow concealed carry at churches with affiliated schools advances from committee. This story, like most, is properly sourced to credible media outlets such as local papers the Greensboro News and Record, Charlotte Observer and local TV stations. Story selection almost always favors the left.
Editorially, all information aligns with the political left such as reproductive rights, LGBTQ equality, concern for climate change, income inequality, and gun reforms. In general, the news is reported factually, however, there is a significant lack of transparency regarding their mission and funding.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate NC Policy Watch Left Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the progressive left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency. (D. Van Zandt 2/14/2017) Updated (2/24/2021)
Last Updated on February 24, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am