These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Ms. Magazine Left Biased based on editorial positions that align with the progressive left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1971, Ms. is an American progressive feminist magazine co-founded by second-wave feminists and sociopolitical activists Gloria Steinem and Dorothy Pitman Hughes. According to their about page, “Ms. remains the most trusted, popular source for feminist news and information in print and online.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Feminist Majority Foundation owns and publishes Ms. Magazine. The Feminist Majority Foundation is a nonprofit funded through donations, subscription fees, advertising, and merchandise sales.
Analysis / Bias
Ms. Magazine covers news and opinions from a feminist perspective. There is a strong focus on social justice, health, and LGBTQ rights. Articles and headlines contain moderately loaded emotional language such as this The Change Women Need: Systemic Reforms Power the Path to Equality. This original article, like most, is properly sourced to credible media outlets such as World Economic Forum and The 19th News. Ms. Magazine also features news from other sources such as Feminist Daily News.
Editorially, opinion aligns with the progressive left with commentary such as this Complacency Is Not An Option: Why States Must Protect Reproductive Rights Under The Biden Administration. Politically they have an unfavorable view of former President Trump How Trumpism Fostered Anti-Choice Violence.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the last 5 years.
Overall, we rate Ms. Magazine Left Biased based on editorial positions that align with the progressive left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/4/2017) Updated (5/22/2021)
Last Updated on May 22, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am