These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The 19th News Left Biased based on editorial positions and advocacy for progressive causes. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to full transparency, proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2020 by Emily Ramshaw and Amanda Zamora, The 19th News is a nonprofit organization and website that serves women, people of color, and the LGBTQ community. According to their about page they state “We’re an independent, nonprofit newsroom reporting on gender, politics and policy.” The name of the organization is based on the 19th Amendment which gave women the right to vote. They add an asterisk at the end to indicate that work still needs to be done as women and minorities continue to be disenfranchised at the ballot box.
Both Emily Ramshaw and Amanda Zamora were formerly on staff at the left-leaning Texas Tribune.
Funded by / Ownership
The 19th is a nonprofit that was initially funded with 5 million dollars by Craig Newmark (500,000); Kathryn Murdoch ($1 million); Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors’ Reproductive Health and Women’s Rights Collaborative ($1 million); and various amounts from Ford Foundation, Emerson Collective, Knight Foundation, Abigail Disney, Arnold Ventures, and the Packard Foundation. Revenue is currently derived through donations and membership fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The 19th primarily reports news and commentary on government and politics as it relates to women, the LGBTQ community, and people of color. The 19th publishes original news reporting and often with minimally loaded wording such as this Law enforcement officers keep arresting Black women elected officials. This story like all the rest is properly sourced to credible media and information outlets such as the Associated Press, Rutgers.edu, PBS, and the Washington Post. Story selection favors the left covering topics such as climate change, human rights, and inequality.
Editorially, The 19th aligns with the left as they frequently publish negative articles concerning conservatives and in particular former President Trump such as this Trump wielded toxic masculinity as a weapon. It hurt America. In 2020 and 2021, they reported on the Coronavirus as it relates to women, POC, and the LGBTQ always taking a pro-science approach CDC study shows gender, racial gaps in COVID cases among young people. Further, they support the consensus of science when it comes to climate change. In general, The 19th reports the news factually and with a consistent left-leaning progressive bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The 19th News Left Biased based on editorial positions and advocacy for progressive causes. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to full transparency, proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 3/29/2021)
Last Updated on March 22, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am