These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Middle East Eye Left-Center biased based on support for liberal-leaning policies. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency with ownership.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Country: United Kingdom
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2014, the Middle East Eye is a London-based website that publishes news and opinion on the Middle East. According to their about page, they claim, “We aim to be the primary portal of Middle East news, and our target audience are all those communities of readers living in and around the region that care deeply for its fate.” The current editor is David Hearst.
Funded by / Ownership
The Middle East Eye lacks transparency as it does not easily provide ownership information. The website requires that you find ownership information on their Terms and Conditions page, which indicates M.E.E Ltd is the owner. The website also does not indicate that Jamal Bessasso is the owner of M.E.E Ltd. Finally, Middle East Eye does not state if they have donors, but we can confirm they use display advertising to generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Middle East Eye provides original news reporting and commentary on 22 Middle Eastern Countries. Articles and headlines use moderately loaded language such as this Covid-19: Palestinian Authority criticized for VIP vaccine distribution. This story, like others reviewed, is properly sourced to credible media outlets such as Reuters, Associated Press, and local Middle Eastern Countries’ media.
Editorially, they often oppose Middle Eastern governments but often support Muslim organizations such as the Muslim Brotherhood: Egyptian court sentences top Muslim Brotherhood leaders to life and this The Muslim Brotherhood and Washington’s misguided Middle East policy. When reporting on the USA, they often hold negative views of the conservative right and, particularly former President Donald Trump such as this US: New exhibition depicts ‘war on terror’ from Muslim eyes. They also tend to report favorably on President Biden’s positions with Saudi Arabia The ‘Biden doctrine’: How not talking to MBS could impact Saudi-US relations. In general, they report news factually, with support for the Muslim Brotherhood; however, they often support left-leaning Democratic governments politically.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. Fact-checkers frequently use them to verify the information.
Overall, we rate the Middle East Eye Left-Center biased based on support for liberal-leaning policies. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency with ownership. (D. Van Zandt 3/7/2021) Updated (02/18/2022)
Last Updated on February 18, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm