These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Marginal Revolution Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor free-market economics. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2003, Marginal Revolution is an economic blog founded by Tyler Cowan and Alex Tabarrok. According to their about page, Tyler Cowan is “Holbert L. Harris Professor of Economics at George Mason University and also Director of the Mercatus Center.” Cowen also writes the “Economic Scene” column for The New York Times and since July 2016 has been a regular opinion columnist at Bloomberg Opinion.
Alex Tabarrok is “Bartley J. Madden Chair in Economics at the Mercatus Center and a professor of economics at George Mason University.” Tabarrok is director of research for the Oakland, California based think tank the Independent Institute.
Funded by / Ownership
Marginal Revolution is owned by Cowan and Tabarrok. Revenue is generated through the sale of a book they co-wrote called Modern Principles of Economics.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Marginal Revolution is a Libertarian-leaning economic blog written by Cowan and Tabarrok. The name of the blog is based on Marginal Theory, which explains “choice with the hypothesis that people decide whether to effect any given change based on the marginal utility of that change, with rival alternatives being chosen based upon which has the greatest marginal utility.”
The blog features original writing from both Cowan and Tabarrok as well as a daily list of links to general interest news stories and facts curated by Tyler Cowan. Some of the sources they link to include PNAS, Economist, Buzzfeed, and the Atlantic.
Original content generally consists of stories and information about economics. The authors also frequently write about Libertarianism such as this: What libertarianism has become and will become — State Capacity Libertarianism. This article is properly sourced. Other articles are snippets and summaries from outside sources such as this from Courthouse News: Taliban markets in everything.
Editorially, Marginal Revolution favors free-market economics, however, they depart from strongly right-leaning Libertarians in that recognize the state must play a role in some regulation. Further, unlike many free-market Libertarian’s they support the scientific consensus on human-influenced climate change.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Marginal Revolution Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor free-market economics. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 1/1/2020)
Last Updated on October 10, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: American People Dailyby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 3, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black America Webby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WFMZby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 8:00 am