These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate PNAS a Pro-Science source with a long record as being a High Impact journal.
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS) is the official scientific journal of the National Academy of Sciences, published since 1915. With broad coverage, spanning the biological, physical, and social sciences, the journal publishes “original research of exceptional importance”, alongside scientific reviews, commentaries, and letters. PNAS is the second most cited scientific journal, with more than 1.9 million cumulative citations from 2008–2018.
The print journal ceased publication in 2019 and now is published weekly online. The website publishes daily science research and information.
Funded by / Ownership
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) is owned by the National Academy of Sciences, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC. Revenue is generated through journal subscriptions as well as fees paid to publish research.
Analysis / Bias
In review, PNAS is a High Impact science journal that publishes 95% of peer-reviewed papers through Direct Submission and 5% are not and are contributed submissions. PNAS covers a wide range of sciences from Physical Science, Social Science to Biological Science. Research articles never use loaded language and always describe exactly what the study is about such as this Microbial biomarkers reveal a hydrothermally active landscape at Olduvai Gorge at the dawn of the Acheulean, 1.7 Ma. Under Social Sciences they sometimes publish political research such as this Ethnic antagonism erodes Republicans’ commitment to democracy. In general, PNAS is very well respected within the scientific community and highly factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate PNAS a Pro-Science source with a long record as being a High Impact journal. (D. Van Zandt 11/30/2016) Update (10/12/2020)
Last Updated on October 12, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am