These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Laconia Daily Sun slightly Left-Center biased based on op-eds that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2000, The Laconia Daily Sun is a five-day (Tuesday through Saturday) free morning daily newspaper published in the city of Laconia, New Hampshire, covering Belknap County and the Lakes Region. Bulk drops distribute 18,000 copies of the paper at more than 300 locations. Home delivery is available for a fee. The paper also publishes a free online edition. The current managing editor is Roger Carrol.
Funded by / Ownership
The Laconia Daily Sun is published by Lakes Region News Club, Inc., a private company that publishes community newspapers in Maine and New Hampshire, United States. Revenue is derived through advertising, sponsored content, and home-delivery subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Laconia Daily Sun publishes local news, community announcements, events, local business news, real estate columns, and classifieds. Local information is presented with minimal bias, such as this Anonymous stranger helped return phone to Gilford woman. Most local and community news is low biased in the presentation.
Editorially, The Laconia Daily Sun presents both left-center and right-center perspectives without using extremes. For example, this editorial supports the dangers of climate change and the actions that need to occur: Froma Harrop: Do US carmakers want us to like them? While we could not find any editorials that deny human-influenced climate change, the paper routinely publishes letters to the editor with differing viewpoints, such as this: Climate change alarmists are on the wrong side of history.
The paper does not offer editorial coverage; however, the story selection of news stories concerning Trump often leans toward the negative. However, when covering Bernie Sanders, there tends to be more favorable reporting, though letters to the editor offer strong criticism. They generally cover news factually and with minimal bias, whereas op-ed coverage tends to lean slightly left but is reasonably balanced.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Laconia Daily Sun slightly Left-Center biased based on op-eds that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record. (D. Van Zandt 2/14/2020) Updated (08/08/2022)
Last Updated on August 8, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am