These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Chalkbeat Left-Center biased based on advocacy and editorial positions that align with a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2013, Chalkbeat is a nonprofit news organization covering education and the public school system. According to their about page, they are “committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education.” Chalkbeat reports from eight locations: Chicago, Colorado, Detroit, Indiana, Newark, New York, Philadelphia, and Tennessee.
Funded by / Ownership
Chalkbeat Inc. is a nonprofit funded through donations and grants. Notable supporters include Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Bezos Family Foundation, Bloomberg Philanthropies, and the Democracy Fund. They also have corporate sponsors such as McGraw Hill Education. Advertising and donations generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Chalkbeat reports news on a broad range of topics covering public education politics and policy reform. They also produce in-depth reports focused on concerning issues. Articles and headlines often utilize moderate emotional language such as this What does $6 billion in COVID relief buy in Michigan schools? This story, like most, is properly sourced .gov websites.
Editorially, Chalkbeat favors the left through the promotion of diversity and equity. They frequently report negatively on conservatives such as this New research finds link between districts that voted Trump and racist bullying post-election. They also criticize conservative politicians regarding mask mandates in schools Biden pushes back as governors, including in Tennessee, try to block school mask mandates. In general, they publish factual news that holds a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. They are used as a resource by fact-checkers.
Overall, we rate Chalkbeat Left-Center biased based on advocacy and editorial positions that align with a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/22/2021)
Last Updated on January 23, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am