These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Kyiv Independent Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and being a resource for fact-checkers.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MODERATE FREEDOM
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded on November 11, 2021, the Kyiv Independent is a Ukraine-based online news source. The outlet was created by former staff of the Kyiv Post. The Kyiv Post was shut down by the owner in his attempt to take full control of the newsroom that has always followed the principle of editorial independence. According to their about page, “The Kyiv Independent provides fair and reliable news on a variety of topics. From Russia’s war against Ukraine and disinformation campaigns to the ongoing pandemic and medical procurement, from human rights in occupied Donbas and Crimea to reforms in Kyiv, nothing will escape the view of the Kyiv Independent.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Kyiv Independent does not clearly state ownership but appears to be owned by several former employees of the Kyiv Post. According to their about page, “The Kyiv Independent won’t be dependent on a rich owner or an oligarch. The publication will depend on fundraising from readers and donors and later on, commercial activities.” Initial funding came from a grant by the European Endowment for Democracy. The website solicits donations via Patreon and GoFundMe.
Analysis / Bias
The Kyiv Independent covers Ukrainian national news, politics, business, opinion, Eastern Europe, tech, and culture through former Kyiv Post journalists. The current focus of the website is the Russia-Ukraine war. Articles and headlines always reflect the article’s content and generally use minimally loaded wording; however, some do contain emotional language such as this In the nation’s darkest hours, Ukrainians look out for each other.
Most articles consist of original reporting; however, they also curate news from other sources such as CNN, Ukrainian Media, and Reuters. Many of these articles are found on the left sidebar that publishes an up-to-the-minute live news feed.
Editorially, the Kyiv Independent holds pro-Ukrainian views in the war effort with Russia Eugene Czolij: It is in NATO’s best interests to help Ukraine secure its airspace and Pavlo Lodyn: Putin’s aggression and the threat of environmental catastrophe in Europe. This last opinion piece contains highly loaded wording such as this “Russia’s treacherous attack on Ukraine shocked the entire civilized world. The planned Blitzkrieg that failed led to the collapse of Russian troops and their transition to terrorist methods of warfare, in violation of the laws and customs of war.”
When reporting on political news not related to the Russia-Ukraine conflict, they are critical of President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and his party, such as this Zelensky party’s lawmaker reportedly caught taking bribe. They also hold left-of-center viewpoints with stories like this Kyiv city administration illuminates its building with LGBTQ colors on Human Rights Day. In general, news reporting is factual, well-sourced, and holds a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years (fact-checkers use them)
Overall, we rate the Kyiv Independent Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and being a resource for fact-checkers. (D. Van Zandt 03/04/2022)
Last Updated on March 4, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am