These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate KOCO News 5 Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Koco News 5 is a TV News program and website that reports news, weather, and sports from Oklahoma City and around the state. It is an ABC-affiliated television station licensed to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States. Since we are unable to watch the newscast, this review is focused on their website only.
Funded by / Ownership
Koco News 5 is owned by Hearst Communications, which owns newspapers, magazines, television channels, and television stations, including the San Francisco Chronicle, the Houston Chronicle, and Esquire. According to Open Secrets, Hearst donated 70% to Republican candidates and causes in 2020. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, KOCO News 5 reports local news through journalists with minimal bias such as this: Another 16-year-old arrested in connection with man’s shooting death in Moore. The national news is derived from other Hearst papers as well as the Associated Press and CNN.
Editorially, KOCO News 5 publishes op-eds that slightly favor the left, such as this Editorial: It’s up to us to educate ourselves, families to embrace inclusion as we celebrate Juneteenth. However, right-leaning perspectives are presented as well, just not at the same frequency as left-leaning opinions.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate KOCO News 5 Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check. (M. Huitsing 8/8/2017) Updated (8/10/2021)
Last Updated on August 10, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds