These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Esquire Left Biased based on story selection and editorials that favor the left and denigrate the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks and hyper-partisan wording that can be misleading.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Esquire is an American men’s magazine and website published by the Hearst Corporation in the United States that was founded in 1933. They cover various topics, including entertainment, fashion, and politics.
Funded by / Ownership
Esquire is owned by Hearst Communications, which owns more than 300 media outlets across the United States, including the San Francisco Chronicle, the Houston Chronicle, and Cosmopolitan. Subscriptions, display ads, sponsored content, and the sale of products from affiliate marketers generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Esquire publishes information and stories geared toward men. Staff writes content, and some stories are derived from other Hearst properties. When reporting political news, Esquire uses strong loaded language that usually favors the left, such as this: The Koch Money Was a Primary Vector for the Prion Disease That’s Infected the Republican Party. This story is properly sourced to the New York Times and New Yorker.
Editorially, Esquire does not separate commentary articles from general news; however, virtually all reporting on former President Trump and his administration is negative. For example, these:
- The G7 Is Just Another Stage for a Presidential Sh*tshow
- Trump Emboldens Racist Terrorists. Then He Plays Sheriff on Twitter.
- Jeffrey Epstein, Donald Trump, and a Russian Oligarch Is Peak Sleazy Corruption
Failed Fact Checks
- CNN accidentally aired 30 minutes of pornography in Boston on Thanksgiving night. – FALSE
- Uvalde spent 40 percent of its budget on its police force last year. – FALSE
Overall, we rate Esquire Left Biased based on story selection and editorials that favor the left and denigrate the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks and hyper-partisan wording that can be misleading. (D. Van Zandt 11/3/2016) Updated (06/30/2022)
Last Updated on June 30, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check