- Overall, we rate Just the News Questionable and Right Biased based on story selection that mostly favors a conservative perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to numerous failed fact checks and the promotion of conspiracy theories and right-wing propaganda.
Questionable Reasoning: Conspiracy Theories, Propaganda, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: FAR RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in February 2020 by John Solomon, Just the News is a conservative website that reports political news through podcasts, videos, and textual content. According to their about page, “JusttheNews.com is committed to just reporting facts from journalists with a long record of public trust and excellence.”
John Solomon serves as the Editor-in-Chief. Solomon was formerly a journalist with The Hill, leaving the paper in October 2019. Solomon’s reporting has been described as conspiratorial and pro-Trump. Another notable staff is Sharyl Attkisson, the host of the TV show Full Measure, and David Brody from CBN News.
Funded by / Ownership
Bentley Media Group LLC owns Just the News. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Just the News publishes videos, podcasts, and journalism from a conservative perspective. Articles and headlines typically do not utilize emotional language such as this: Trump’s campaign sues Wisconsin TV station for airing ‘defamatory’ ad. This story is appropriately sourced to the Washington Post and Priorities.org. Another properly sourced story with little bias is this: Pentagon invokes the Defense Production Act to make 40 million masks.
Editorially, Just the News does not label opinion content, and actually, they don’t produce op-eds; however, in examining story selection, they routinely favor President Trump such as this: Trump campaign slaps New York Times with libel suit while reporting negatively on Democrats such as this: Cruz decries ‘dangerous’ Schumer threats against justices, seeks censure. They have published misinformation during the CoronaVirus outbreak of 2020, as seen below in our failed fact checks section. In general, news reporting is not always factual and holds a moderately strong right-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- Virginia’s new method for testing for coronavirus may significantly delay the state’s reopening – Partly False
- COVID-19 is close to losing its epidemic status in the U.S., according to the CDC – False
- Yale epidemiologist: Dr. Fauci running ‘misinformation campaign’ against hydroxychloroquine – False
- “Dr. Anthony Fauci appeared to acknowledge that large numbers of positive COVID-19 cases may arise from oversensitive tests that pick up mere fragments of the virus rather than active, viable infections. If true, many patients may have been receiving false-positive test results” – Inaccurate
- “There is no evidence to support the contention that masks would stop influenza while failing to stop COVID”; “Influenza has been renamed COVID-19 in large part” – Mostly False
- “Records suggest more than 100 batches of absentee ballots in Fulton County could be missing.” – False
- Jim Jordan Said 14 FBI Agents Spoke To Him After Trump Raid. – False
It should be noted that others have accused John Solomon of promoting false conspiracy theories regarding the Biden’s and Ukraine.
Overall, we rate Just the News Questionable and Right Biased based on story selection that mostly favors a conservative perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to numerous failed fact checks and the promotion of conspiracy theories and right-wing propaganda. (D. Van Zandt 4/13/2020) Updated (08/18/2022)
Last Updated on August 18, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check