These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Just the News Borderline Questionable and Right Biased based on story selection that mostly favors a conservative perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks over a short period of time.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in February 2020 by John Solomon, Just the News is a conservative website that reports on political news through podcasts, videos, and textual content. According to their about page, “JusttheNews.com is committed to just reporting facts from journalists with a long record of public trust and excellence.”
John Solomon serves as the Editor-in-Chief. Solomon was formerly a journalist with The Hill, leaving the paper in October 2019. Solomon’s reporting has been described as conspiratorial and pro-Trump. Another notable staff is Sharyl Attkisson, who is currently the host of the TV show Full Measure, and David Brody from CBN News.
Funded by / Ownership
Bentley Media Group LLC owns Just the News. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Just the News publishes videos, podcasts, and journalism from a conservative perspective. Articles and headlines typically do not utilize emotional language such as this: Trump’s campaign sues Wisconsin TV station for airing ‘defamatory’ ad. This story is appropriately sourced to the Washington Post and Priorities.org. Another properly sourced story with little bias is this: Pentagon invokes the Defense Production Act to make 40 million masks.
Editorially, Just the News does not label opinion content, and actually, they don’t produce op-eds; however, in examining story selection, they routinely favor President Trump such as this: Trump campaign slaps New York Times with libel suit while reporting negatively on Democrats such as this: Cruz decries ‘dangerous’ Schumer threats against justices, seeks censure. They have published misinformation during the CoronaVirus outbreak of 2020, as seen below in our failed fact checks section. In general, news reporting is not always factual and holds a moderately strong right-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- Virginia’s new method for testing for coronavirus may significantly delay the state’s reopening – Partly False
- COVID-19 is close to losing its epidemic status in the U.S., according to the CDC – False
- Yale epidemiologist: Dr. Fauci running ‘misinformation campaign’ against hydroxychloroquine – False
- “Dr. Anthony Fauci appeared to acknowledge that large numbers of positive COVID-19 cases may arise from oversensitive tests that pick up mere fragments of the virus rather than active, viable infections. If true, many patients may have been receiving false-positive test results” – Inaccurate
- “There is no evidence to support the contention that masks would stop influenza while failing to stop COVID”; “Influenza has been renamed COVID-19 in large part” – Mostly False
It should be noted that others have accused John Solomon of promoting false conspiracy theories regarding the Biden’s and Ukraine.
Overall, we rate Just the News Borderline Questionable and Right Biased based on story selection that mostly favors a conservative perspective. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks over a short period of time. (D. Van Zandt 4/13/2020) Updated (01/18/2021)