These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate InsideClimate News Left-Center Biased based on political policy positions that align with the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2007, InsideClimate News is a non-profit and non-partisan news organization, focusing on environmental journalism. The publication writes that it “covers clean energy, carbon energy, nuclear energy, and environmental science—plus the territory in between where law, policy, and public opinion are shaped.” It won the 2013 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting for its coverage of the Kalamazoo River oil spill. They state their mission is to “serve as watchdogs of government, industry, and advocacy groups and hold them accountable for their policies and actions.”
Funded by / Ownership
InsideClimate News is owned by Lost Light Projects Inc, which is a not-for-profit incorporated in the state of New York and a 501 C3 tax-exempt organization operating with IRS approval as a public charity. According to their about page, they are supported primarily by grants for general support from charitable foundations and also tax-deductible donations from readers. The website is fully transparent regarding funding with a full list here. Major donors include Ford Foundation, Knight Foundation, Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, and Rockefeller Family Fund.
Analysis / Bias
In review, InsideClimate News uses minimal loaded words and always sources to highly credible media and science outlets. In fact, InsideClimate News could easily be placed in our Pro-Science category. However, they frequently cover politics such as this: Trump (Sort of) Accepted Covid-19 Modeling. Don’t Expect the Same on Climate Change.
Editorially, they frequently report negatively on President Trump and Republican positions on Climate Change and the environment in general.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. In fact, InsideClimate News is used as a resource by IFCN fact-checkers.
Overall, we rate InsideClimate News Left-Center Biased based on political policy positions that align with the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 9/12/2017) Updated (4/27/2020)
Last Updated on October 8, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds