These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Although this source certainly has a left leaning political bias, the focus is on evidence based science, therefore we rate CSPW Pro-Science.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 2005, Climate Science & Policy Watch (CSPW) is the “flagship program of the Government Accountability Project’s Environment & Energy Program, covering safety and health issues in the fossil fuel and nuclear power industries, clean air and water, land use, and toxics. We represent whistleblowers, conduct public interest investigations, and lead Know Your Rights Campaigns.” CSPW is currently under the leadership of GAP’s Chief of Staff, Michael Termini.
Funded by / Ownership
Climate Science & Policy Watch is a program of the Government Accountability Project, which is a non-profit whistleblower protection and advocacy organization in the United States. GAP is funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Climate Science & Policy Watch (CSPW) is a climate science blog with a tagline that reads: “Promoting integrity in the use of climate science in Government.” CSPW works to expose climate science denial by political leaders and businesses. On the homepage of the website they list their core initiatives:
1. Promoting Scientific Integrity & Exposing Disinformation and the Denial of Climate Science
2. Watchdogging Federal Government Climate Programs & Legislation
3. Investigating the Role of Big Oil in Thwarting Solutions to the Climate Crisis
4. Know Your Rights Campaigns & Public Interest Investigations
5. Ensuring Climate Change is Included in National Energy Policy & Planning
6. Promoting National Preparedness for Climate Change Impacts
A review of the site shows that they are consistent with upholding the consensus of science as it relates to climate change. A sample article reads: A Case Study of Political Interference, Censorship, and Suppression of Federal Climate Science Under the Bush-Cheney Administration: A Cautionary Tale for the Trump Administration, which is thoroughly sourced to credible information.
Although this source certainly has a left leaning political bias, the focus is on evidence based science, therefore we rate CSPW Pro-Science. (D. Van Zandt 9/26/2019)