These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate JSTOR a Pro-Science website based on providing access to over 2000 academic journals. We also rate them Very High for factual reporting.
Factual Reporting: VERY HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
JSTOR is a digital library founded in 1995 by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Originally containing digitized back issues of academic journals, it now also includes books and primary sources, and current issues of journals. It provides full-text searches of almost 2,000 journals. More than 8,000 institutions in more than 160 countries have access to JSTOR; most access is by subscription, but some older public domain content is freely available to anyone. According to their about page, “JSTOR provides access to more than 12 million academic journal articles, books, and primary sources in 75 disciplines.”
Funded by / Ownership
JSTOR is owned by the nonprofit ITHAKA, whose stated mission is to “help the academic community use digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways.” Revenue is derived through service fees for content.
Analysis / Bias
In review, JSTOR is a digital library that does not publish news. The website allows you to search books, journal articles, and published research on over 75 different disciplines. Based on not publishing news and only serving as a search engine for science-based information this source is rated as not biased.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate JSTOR a Pro-Science website based on providing access to over 2000 academic journals. We also rate them Very High for factual reporting. (D. Van Zandt 11/15/2016) Updated (7/24/2020)
Last Updated on July 24, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am