These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Jewish Journal Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting based on use of proper sources and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 1987, The Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles is an independent, nonprofit community weekly newspaper serving the Jewish community of greater Los Angeles, published by TRIBE Media Corp. According to their FAQ page the website, “JewishJournal.com is one of the world’s leading Jewish news sites. It contains local, national and global news updated daily, as well as blogs from noted Jewish personalities and writers including Karen Lehrman Bloch, Shmuel Rosner, Ben Shapiro, Jonathan Kirsch, Gina Nahai, and Salvador Litvak.”
The current President and editor-in-chief is David Suissa.
Funded by / Ownership
The Jewish Journal discloses ownership on its FAQ page with this: TRIBE Media Corp., formerly Los Angeles Jewish Publications, Inc., is a diversified non-profit media company focused on local, national, and global Jewish news, issues and culture. It is not affiliated with any organization, ideology, or movement. TRIBE Media Corp. consists of Jewish Journal; jewishjournal.com, podcasts, and Tribe Events. However, they do not disclose donors. Revenue is derived from advertising.
Analysis / Bias
This review reflects the content found on the website jewishjournal.com. In review, the Jewish Journal publishes news geared to the greater Los Angeles Jewish Community. They often cover culture, religion, politics, and some general news. The website publishes a section called “Best of the Web”, that republishes full or summary articles from other sources. Some of the sources used are the Left-Leaning The Week, New Republic, Slate, and Mother Jones. They also utilize some right-leaning sites such as the Washington Examiner, Wall Street Journal, and Fox News.
Original news reporting typically is low biased on a left-right spectrum, but often favors Israel such as this: CA Dem Party Criticizes Israeli Treatment of Palestinian Children, Condems Anti-Zionism. Editorially, the Jewish Journal features columnists such as David Suissa, Karen Bloch, Ben Shapiro, and Scmuel Rosner. In reviewing and researching these columnist 2 lean conservative and 2 lean liberal. However, in general, more stories overall tend to slightly favor the right.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate the Jewish Journal Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that slightly favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting based on use of proper sources and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/28/2019) Updated (5/13/2020)
Last Updated on May 13, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am