- Overall, we rate Investing.com Least Biased based on minimal editorial bias and fact-driven financial markets information. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency with ownership, unknown credibility of authors, and a failed fact check.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2007 by Dror Efrat, Investing.com is a financial data website providing financial tools, financial news and analysis, insights into commodities, international business, and economics. In 2021 the website’s owner Dror Efrat sold the website to an unspecified Asian fund. For staff and their bio’s, please see here. Omer Shvili is the CEO of the website.
The company is headquartered in Cyprus.
Funded by / Ownership
Investing.com lacks transparency as they do not disclose the new owner that is only described as an “Asian Fund.” The former owner was Dror Efrat who sold the website in April 2021. Advertising and sponsored content fund the business.
Analysis / Bias
Investing.com primarily reports on economics, financial markets, and investing. The website features a wide variety of stock tickers/tools and profiles of businesses on the global exchange markets. The information on companies is fact-based and derived from financial data and market prices. Investing.com also provides news stories such as this California governor orders review of death row inmate’s conviction. News stories are typically republished from reliable sources such as Reuters and Bloomberg.
Editorially, they provide a section titled Analysis and Opinion, where writers offer advice and opinions on investing. Many of the writers reviewed appear to be bloggers who have their own websites, such as Is Gold Setting Up For A Rally Above $2000 Again? This article is written by Chris Vermeulen, who operates a website called the Gold and Oil Guy. Essentially, this article is sponsored content where Chris Vermeulen is promoting his website on a highly trafficked website (investment.com receives 170+ million page views per month).
As reviewers, it is difficult to determine the credibility of the bloggers. For example, one blogger is a retired Ophthalmologists, and while he may be a self-taught expert with years of experience, we really don’t know his qualifications. Another article comes from a website called Contrarian Outlook, “These Ignored 6.5% Dividends Will Be The Biggest Story Of 2021”, which may or may not be a reliable source of information. Finally, after reviewing dozens of analysis pieces, the aim of the agreement is to produce large quantities of content for investing.com while providing marketing opportunities for the writers.
Investing.com provides low-biased factual information as it relates to company profiles, stock prices, and world news. However, they lack credibility when it relates to the transparency of ownership and the qualifications of their authors.
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate Investing.com Least Biased based on minimal editorial bias and fact-driven financial markets information. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency with ownership, unknown credibility of authors, and a failed fact check. (M. Huitsing (5/29/2021) Updated (04/16/2022)
Last Updated on April 16, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: American People Dailyby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 3, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black America Webby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WFMZby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 8:00 am