A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate I Hate the Media a Questionable Source based on consistent right leaning spin and use of other questionable sources as the means of content.
Reasoning: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Some Fake News (Through Republishing)
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 2006, I Hate the Media is a blog that publishes news “to point out all the bias and the blindness. All the lies and the lunacy. All the fakes and the phonies. All the morons and the myopic.” There is a staff page provided that lists names of contributors, but not really any biographical information. An editor is not listed.
Funded by / Ownership
The website does not disclose ownership and Whois shows the domain registered privately. I Hate the Media appears to be funded primarily through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, I Hate the Media publishes very little original content, but rather is more of a news curation service. A typical post on the blog consists of a link to a another source with a biased opinion attached to it, such as this: Homeless vet, couple allegedly made up story for GoFundMe scam. “Remember folks, if it sounds too good to be good it may be a ripoff. Oh, and what is it about people with Bobbitt for a last name?”
While I Hate the Media links to a variety of mostly right and some left leaning sights the context of the message is always pro-right. Here is an example of extreme right wing bias that links to a known questionable source that has failed numerous fact checks: Trump is correct, forest mismanagement contributed to California wildfire devastation. “Short version. Democrats and Greentards: “Like wow man, we just had a bong hit and got a great idea man. Let’s just let the forests grow wild, like back to Mother Nature man.” IHTM: “Um, excuse us, but forest fires are part of Mother Nature dummy. Have another bong hit.” Of course their excuse is the usual suspect – global warming did it.”
When it comes to the sources they link to, there are many that come from far right and questionable sources, such as the Conservative Tribune and Infowars. In general, not all content on this blog is Questionable. There are many stories that are 100% credible, but always spun with a biased narrative before leading to the article.
Overall, we rate I Hate the Media a Questionable Source based on consistent right leaning spin and use of other questionable sources as the means of content. (D. Van Zandt 11/24/2018) Updated (4/19/2020)
Last Updated on April 19, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am