These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Fake Hate Crimes Right Biased based on story selection and information that appeals to the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency and the occasional use of poor quality sources.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2012, Fake Hate Crimes is a website that lists in database format, fake hate crimes with hyperlinks to news articles. It builds on the work of Laird Wilcox whose Crying Wolf (PDF) is the original book on this subject. The site does not have a proper about page, but states its purpose is “to compile a comprehensive database of the false reports of “hate crimes” committed (mostly) in the USA.”
Laird Wilcox is an American researcher specializing in the study of political fringe movements. In his self-published book Watchdogs, Wilcox asserts that groups like the Southern Poverty Law Center, the Anti-Defamation League, Political Research Associates, and the Center for Democratic Renewal collect millions of dollars by greatly exaggerating the size and danger of such groups, becoming “a massive extortion racket.”
Funded by / Ownership
Fake Hate Crimes does not state ownership on the website and there does not appear to be a revenue model.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the website lists in a table format, supposed fake hate crimes committed mostly in the USA. Column one displays the Fake News Report’s summary, column two provides an external link to the source of the story, usually a mainstream media source. The third column is a repeat of the first with a short summary. In reviewing the links provided most do source to credible high factual media outlets, however, there are some that do not. For example, this story comes from the extreme right-wing conspiracy website Infowars: ‘WHITE SUPREMACIST’ SHOOTING OF 7-YEAR-OLD BLACK GIRL; GUNMAN TURNS OUT TO BE BLACK. This story is true, but Infowars is typically not factual. Fake Hate Crimes also sources the factually mixed and right biased Daily Wire and Daily Caller as well as questionable sources such as Breitbart and the Daily Mail, all of which have poor track records with fact-checkers. In general, the stories on Fake Hate Crimes tend to be true and they stick to their mission of reporting only on fake hate crimes.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Fake Hate Crimes Right Biased based on story selection and information that appeals to the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency and the occasional use of poor quality sources. (D. Van Zandt 3/22/2019) Updated (02/17/2021)
Last Updated on February 17, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am