These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Hollywood Reporter Left-Center Biased based on story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them high for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 1930, The Hollywood Reporter is a weekly magazine and website that focuses on the entertainment and film industry in Hollywood. The current editorial director is Matthew Belloni.
Funded by / Ownership
The Hollywood Reporter LLC is a subsidiary of Prometheus Global Media, LLC., which in turn is owned by Eldridge Industries. Eldridge Industries also owns Billboard.com. Revenue is derived through advertising and subscriptions fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Hollywood Reporter primarily covers entertainment, film industry news and film-TV reviews. They typically do not publish opinion content unless it is in the form of a review. News is reported with moderate loaded wording such as this: Oscars: In the Best Picture Race, Is Netflix Still Its Own Obstacle? This story is sourced back to other Hollywood Reporter stories.
The Hollywood Reporter also has a section for political news that features original reporting as well as stories republished from the Associated Press. Original reporting often uses minimal to moderate biased wording and usually relates to the entertainment, TV, and film genre such as this: Shepard Smith Could Be Picking Between CNN and MSNBC for His Next Job. A thorough review of political coverage indicates that more stories favor the left such as this: Greta Thunberg Slams Davos Elites on Climate as Trump Takes Stage. In general, news is reported factually and with a slight left leaning bias in story selection.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Hollywood Reporter Left-Center Biased based on story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them high for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 10/30/2016) Updated (1/21/2020)
Last Updated on April 14, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am