Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate the Health Sciences Institute a quackery level Pseudoscience website based on the frequent promotion of unproven alternative health measures that mislead.
Factual Reporting: LOW
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1998, the Health Sciences Institute is an organization and website that promotes alternative medicine and health. According to their about page “We’re dedicated to uncovering and researching the most urgent advances in modern underground medicine. Things you WON’T hear about in the mainstream.”
Funded by / Ownership
The website is owned by New Market Health which is an asset in the Baltimore-based publishing empire named Agora Inc. New Market Health promotes natural cures.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Health Sciences Institute publishes news and information related to alternative health. Virtually, all information on this website promotes medicine and cures that are not supported by the consensus of science. For example, this article Shrink tumors and keep cancer from spreading with baicalein. While there is some evidence that Baicalein has some effect on tumors there is not a broad consensus and there is not enough efficacy to override traditional science-based treatments. Further, HSI is pro-Christian and promotes anti-vaccination propaganda regarding the HPV vaccine such as this Our tax dollars are paying for dangerous, ineffective vaccinations. According to the National Cancer Institute (NIH), Gardasil is “highly effective in preventing infection with the types of HPV they target when given before initial exposure to the virus—which means before individuals begin to engage in sexual activity.” Finally, according to Mother Jones they have “found an incredible cure for cancer hidden in the Book of Matthew. For just $74, you, too, could discover the secret.”
Failed Fact Checks
- There is a proven natural cure for cancer called sour honey, but pharmaceutical companies and politicians are trying to keep it under wraps for financial gain. – Mostly False
- Lemon is a “miraculous product” that can kill cancer cells, is 10,000 times stronger than chemotherapy, and is “a proven remedy against cancers of all types”. – False
- The fruit of the graviola tree (soursop or guyabano), or other components of the plant (A. muricata), are a viable cure for cancer. – False
Overall, we rate the Health Sciences Institute a quackery level Pseudoscience website based on the frequent promotion of unproven alternative health measures that mislead. (8/22/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 6/20/2020)
Last Updated on October 19, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am