These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Frontiers of Freedom right biased based on story selection and mixed factually due to not supporting the consensus of science regarding climate change.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Launched in 1995, Frontiers of Freedom is a right-wing think tank founded by retired Republican senator Malcolm Wallop. Frontiers of Freedom’s mission statement indicates they “promote the principles of individual freedom, peace through strength, limited government, free enterprise, free markets, and traditional American values as found in the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.” They also explain, “We do this by exposing the truth about state government the mainstream media won’t tell you; by holding elected officials accountable when they support liberal policies; and by persistently fighting to give voice to those who feel they’re not being heard.”
Funded by / Ownership
Frontiers of Freedom does not disclose ownership on the website. It appears they are owned or a part of the Frontiers of Freedom Inc. The website solicited donations but does not reveal donors. According to the left-leaning SourceWatch, FoF has received considerable funding from Exxon, Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, and Sarah Scaife Foundation. All of these funders promote right-leaning causes, including climate change denialism.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Frontiers of Freedom publishes stories from the right biased sources such as National Review. According to an NYT article, Frontiers of Freedom believes that human activities are not responsible for global warming. The same article also states Frontiers of Freedom received $230,000 from Exxon in 2002.
Headlines often contain loaded emotional language that favors the right such as this Group Demands Answers From McAuliffe On “Corrupt Political Bargain” With Left-Wing Extremists—Especially On Suburbs. This article does not contain hyperlinked sourcing. In general, all stories favor the right and sometimes promote pseudoscience as it relates to climate change.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the last 10 years.
Overall, we rate Frontiers of Freedom right biased based on story selection and mixed factually due to not supporting the consensus of science regarding climate change. (M. Huitsing 10/2/2017) Updated (10/13/2021)
Last Updated on October 13, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NewsBreakby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am