A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate FreedomProject Media, Questionable based on Extreme Right bias, promotion of both propaganda and conspiracies, a lack of transparency, using poor sources connected to hate groups, and several failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Poor Sourcing, Lack of Transparency, Failed Fact Checks
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2002, FreedomProject Media is a website that features conservative video shows, podcasts, and text-based news. The website does not contain an about page, however, a domain search indicates FreedomProject.com was registered in 2002 to the John Birch Society.
FreedomProject Media is connected to the FreedomProject Academy, which is a private, online, Judeo-Christian school for students in kindergarten through high school that teaches from a Classical Christian education perspective. FPA is a school, not a self-paced program or tutorial service.
Funded by / Ownership
FreedomProject Media does not disclose ownership on the website, however, the FreedomProject Academy is managed by FreedomProject Education, which is owned by the American Opinion Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization with ties to the John Birch Society. Revenue appears to be derived from donations.
Analysis / Bias
This review will focus on text-based articles found on the website. FreedomProject Media reports news and opinions with a strong right-wing bias in story selection and wording. For example, this story contains strong loaded language, California Pushes K-12 Sex Ed Indoctrination That Will Blow Your Mind. The story primarily sources back to older articles on their own website. However, they do provide outside links to the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) as well as the Anti-LGBT Family Research Institute, which is classified as an active Hate Group in the USA.
In general, stories revolve around education and how liberal education is destroying morality. They frequently promote a far-right Christian agenda such as anti-LGBT, anti-abortion, and pretty much anything left of right-center. They also promote baseless conspiracy theories such as this: Snopes Defends Teaching Child Rape to Children. Further, FreedomProject has been accused of promoting Far-Right Propaganda regarding Common Core State Standards.
Failed Fact Checks
- In 2019, California education authorities formulated a policy that, if implemented, would force parents to allow their children to be taught that “there are 15 genders.” – FALSE
- Abandoning the Common Core set of standards for English and mathematics caused a Florida charter school’s test results to go from mediocre to outstanding. – FALSE
- In 2018 or 2019, Brea Olinda Unified School District in California “taught pedophilia as a sexual orientation.” – FALSE
Overall, we rate FreedomProject Media, Questionable based on Extreme Right bias, promotion of both propaganda and conspiracies, a lack of transparency, using poor sources connected to hate groups and several failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 5/24/2019) Updated (1/25/2021)
Last Updated on January 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Buffalo supermarket shooting suspect posted an apparent manifesto repeatedly citing ‘Great Replacement’ theoryby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 9:43 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Rodong Sinmunby Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 7:26 am