These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Interpreter Magazine Left-Center Biased based on story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Interpreter Mag (I.M.) was founded by the Atlantic Council, a nonpartisan organization dedicated to promoting cooperation between the United States and Europe. I.M. was established to translate articles from the Russian press into other languages. Its stance has changed significantly since then, according to its About page: “Little did we realize then that the Interpreter would devote as much energy to covering what the Russian Federation got up to outside of its own borders.”
Funded by / Ownership
Interpreter Magazine is owned by The Institute of Modern Russia (IMR), which is a nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy organization—a think tank—headquartered in New York City. Revenue is generated through donations.
Analysis / Bias
Today I.M. covers, as stated, Russia’s involvement in international affairs primarily focused on Syria, Crimea, and the war in Ukraine. They also have a daily podcast covering the same range of topics. The articles are well written and factual, with a noticeable anti-Putin and Russian government stance. I.M. does have a small amount of U.S. Related news, although it is primarily about the investigations of Russian involvement in the election.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Interpreter Magazine Left-Center Biased based on story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (D. Kelley 3/6/2017) Updated (12/16/2021)
Last Updated on January 14, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am