These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased, and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate Earth & Sky Pro-Science and left-leaning in bias based on story selection that favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Earth & Sky, also known as EarthSky (the still-active website), was a daily radio series that presented information about science and nature. Earth & Sky was broadcast on NPR from 1991 to 2013 and then focused on the web and social media. The information on Earth & Sky comes directly from scientists. The journalists who produced the Earth & Sky radio program and continue to produce the website speak to several scientists each day, dozens each week, and hundreds each year.
Funded by / Ownership
Earthsky Communications Inc. owns the website. Donations and a store that sells astronomy supplies and branded merchandise generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
Earth & Sky covers news and information related to astronomy and geology. Articles and headlines are primarily free of bias and focus on science, such as this Tucana the Toucan is home to the Small Magellanic Cloud. They also cover geology/earth sciences such as climate change impacts as seen here Global climate change may impact crops within 10 years. This story appropriately references NASA.
While they do not offer straight Op-Eds, the website takes a left-leaning perspective in story selection by highlighting the dangers of climate change and inequity, such as this Artificial intelligence’s racial and gender bias problem. Although there is a left-leaning editorial bias, they consistently promote pro-science stories and earn a pro-science rating.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Earth & Sky Pro-Science and left-leaning in bias based on story selection that favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 12/31/2017) Updated (11/19/2021)
Last Updated on November 19, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am