These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Crime Prevention Research Center Right Biased based on strongly advocating for guns and the conservative agenda. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on a few failed fact checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
The Crime Prevention Research Center is a nonprofit founded in 2013 by John Lott, author of the book “More Guns, Less Crime.” He is best known as an advocate in the gun rights debate, particularly his arguments against restrictions on owning and carrying guns. According their about page they state their goal as “to provide an objective and accurate scientific evaluation of both the costs and benefits of gun ownership as well as policing activities.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) is a 501(C)(3) nonprofit. They claim on their about page that they “do not accept donations from gun or ammunition makers or organizations such as the NRA or any other organizations involved in the gun control debate on either side of the issue. Nor do we accept donations from organizations involved in the debate over illegal immigration.” Although there have been claims made that John Lott and the CPRC are funded by the NRA, there is not evidence to support that claim. Unfortunately, the website lacks transparency and does not disclose funding. It appears funding is derived through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Crime Prevention Research Center produces research and information that is favorable toward guns. The website publishes research with minimal loaded language such as this: Major New Research on School Safety: Schools that Allow Teachers to Carry Guns haven’t seen school shootings during school hours. This research was conducted by John Lott. In viewing the research present on their page, all of the research is favorable toward gun ownership and minimizes gun dangers. The website features an Op-Ed section that curates news from other right leaning outlets such as Fox News, Townhall, Washington Times and the Daily Caller. All of these sources are listed as Mixed factual due to failed fact checks. Finally, the website has a section dedicated to gun data and statistics that comes from credible sources.
A factual search reveals a few failed fact checks by IFCN fact checkers.
- Florida lawmaker repeats dodgy claim about crimes by cops vs. concealed permit holders – FALSE
- Trump’s Misleading Gun Rhetoric – FALSE
- Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick claims states where people carry guns have less crime – MOSTLY FALSE
Overall, we rate the Crime Prevention Research Center Right Biased based on strongly advocating for guns and the conservative agenda. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on a few failed fact checks. (9/2/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 5/24/2019)
Last Updated on March 17, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am