Founded in 1989, The Council for the National Interest (“CNI”) is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit, non-partisan organization in the United States that works for “Middle East policies that serve the American national interest.” CNI has a pro-Palestine position and is opposed to Neo-Conservatism.
The President of CNI is Alison Weir who is a former journalist and the founder of If Americans Knew, a nonprofit organization that focuses on the Israel-Palestine conflict, specializing in statistical analysis. If America Knew has been criticized by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) for what they deemed anti-Semitic statements, which Alison Weir characterizes as defamation. On the other hand, Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting (FAIR) has called If Americans Knew “Valuable. “
Funded by / Ownership
The Council for the National Interest (“CNI”) is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit funded through donations. The website does not disclose donors or financial information.
Analysis / Bias
The CNI has a long history of opposing the Israeli occupation of the West Bank and generally favors the Palestinian position. They frequently oppose the funding Israel receives from the United States, such as Despite coronavirus-caused cutbacks, Israel expects to get full $3.8 billion. In fact, they have an entire section of the website dedicated to this Cost of Israel to the US.
Editorially, CNI is completely one-sided in their opposition to Israel’s government, and actions with commentary such as this Tucker Carlson Exposes Zionist Hypocrisy on Immigration. Although it has not been classified as a hate group, some of their staff, including the President, has been cited by the Anti-Defamation League for employing “anti-Semitic imagery and portrays Israel and its agents as ruthless forces that control American policy through brutal intimidation and deception.” When it comes to politics, they generally do not support President Biden Another Zionist Joins the Biden Team or former President Trump Trump Dances to Israel’s Tune.
Rating CNI on a left-right scale is difficult. The bottom line is they oppose Israel. For that, we rate them Questionable and perhaps left of center in bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Council for the National Interest (CNI) Left-Center biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing, a lack of transparency with funding, and one-sided negative reporting on Israel and the Jewish people. (D. Van Zandt 4/1/2017) Updated (4/23/2021)
Last Updated on April 23, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm