These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Clarion Ledger Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1837, the Clarion Ledger is a daily broadsheet newspaper from Jackson, Mississippi that is circulated statewide.
Until the 1970’s the Clarion Ledger was openly racist with the paper referring to civil rights activists as “communists” and “chimpanzees.” The paper’s racism was so virulent that it prompted some in the African-American community to call it “The Klan-Ledger.” However, in the 1970s the editorial direction changed resulting in them winning the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service, in 1983 for a package of stories on Mississippi’s education system.
Funded by / Ownership
The Clarion Ledger is owned by Gannett (Gatehouse Media), which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Clarion Ledger covers local and state news through reporters with minimal bias in wording such as this Mississippi pain cream fraud: Doctor sentenced to 4 years, must repay $7.2 million. National and international reporting comes from the USA Today Network as well as the Associated Press.
Editorially, the Clarion Ledger has endorsed both Republican and Democratic Presidential candidates. For example, they endorsed Bill Clinton in 1992, Bob Dole in 1996, Al Gore in 2000, George W. Bush in 2004, Barack Obama in 2008, and since 2012 has not endorsed any candidates. A review of op-eds indicates that many more favor the left with opinions such as this: Pandemic of hate, racism still threatens America, but there is hope and this Time to join every other state and pass equal pay: AG Lynn Fitch. In general, they report news factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Clarion Ledger Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 6/17/2020)
Last Updated on June 17, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am