These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate 7NEWS Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that tend to favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a few false and controversial claims.
Factual Reporting: Mixed
World Press Freedom Rank: Australia 26/180
7NEWS is Seven West Media’s (SWM) online news service which was launched in 2019. Seven West Media is part of Seven Network, which is a TV Broadcasting network founded in 1956. 7NEWS is based in Australia and focuses on news, politics, sports, and lifestyle. Currently, Seven’s Director is Craig McPherson.
Funded by / Ownership
7NEWS is an ad-supported service and in 2018, 7NEWS announced a partnership with Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. “to create a joint advertising platform for cars”. 7NEWS is owned by Seven West Media Limited. “Seven West Media was created through the acquisition of Seven Media Group by West Australian Newspapers Holdings Limited (WAN)”. Kerry Stokes is Executive Chairman and James Warburton Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Seven West Media Limited.
Analysis / Bias
In review, 7NEWS republishes news from credible news wires such as the Associated Press and AAP as well as original content written by Seven West Media journalists. 7NEWS has conservative leanings and has been criticized for airing fake news such as these:
- False pro-choice chant claim
- “Sunrise segment on Indigenous adoption lands Seven in more hot water”
- “Channel Seven under fire over interview with far-right extremist”
7NEWS also publishes sensational tabloid style news such as these:
- “Dead man has the last laugh as he leaves hilarious recorded message for mourners at his funeral”
- “Second person charged with torture over alleged kangaroo killings in Tura Beach
- Public servant sacked after being caught urinating in office kettle.”
Editorially, 7NEWS is reasonably balanced when it comes to USA politics, such as this: Donald Trump’s phone call with Ukraine confirms need for impeachment inquiry: Nancy Pelosi. When it comes to national politics 7NEWS tends to favor Center-Right Prime Minister Scott Morrison: Morrison government reveals tough new plan to stop bosses stealing wages from employees.
Overall, we rate 7NEWS Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that tend to favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a few false and controversial claims. (M. Huitsing 10/14/2019)