Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1847, the Chicago Tribune is a daily newspaper based in Chicago, Illinois, United States. The daily paper is published in broadsheet format, and the current editor is Bruce Dold. The Chicago Times is the 8th largest paper by circulation in the United States and the most read in the Chicago area.
Funded by / Ownership
The Chicago Tribune is owned by Tribune Publishing, which owns numerous newspapers across the United States. The Chicago Tribune is funded through a paid subscription and advertising model.
Analysis / Bias
According to their statement of principles: “The Chicago Tribune believes in the traditional principles of limited government; maximum individual responsibility; and minimum restriction of personal liberty, opportunity, and enterprise. It believes in free markets, free will, and freedom of expression.” In other words, Libertarian/Conservative-leaning.
In review, the Chicago Tribune reports local news using reporters and national/world news through syndication of the Associated Press. There is minimal use of loaded language in headlines and articles, and all information is properly sourced. Editorially, there is a right-leaning bias through the promotion of free-market economics and limited government. The newspaper has historically endorsed Republican or 3rd party candidates; however, in 2008 and 2012, they endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president. In 2016, they opted to endorse Libertarian Gary Johnson.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Chicago Tribune Right-Center biased based on moderately right-leaning editorial positions and High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (5/16/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 9/11/2020)
Last Updated on April 18, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm