These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Chicago Reporter Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that mostly favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Chicago Reporter is a monthly periodical from Chicago, Illinois, USA. Founded in 1972, it covers poverty and race issues. According to their about page “The Reporter serves a critical role in the city and nation by focusing the power of investigative reporting on issues of inequality that rarely receive a thorough and regular examination by mainstream media organizations. Our core areas of coverage are criminal justice, affordable housing and economic development, jobs, and transportation.” The current editors are Karen Hawkins and Sujay Kumar.
Funded by / Ownership
The Chicago Reporter is published by the Community Renewal Society and funded through donations. Top donors include the McCormick Foundation, Open Society Foundation, Ford Foundation, Driehaus Foundation, and Conant Family Foundation who donated more than $5,000 per year.
Funded by / Ownership
In review, The Chicago Reporter produces quality original reporting on Chicago news with a strong focus on racial issues. Articles and headlines feature moderately loaded emotional wording such as this South Side’s maternal health desert poses added risks for Black women during pandemic. This story like most on the website is properly sourced to credible media outlets such as the Chicago Sun Times and Chicago Tribune.
Editorially, the Chicago Reporter takes positions from a liberal perspective. For example, they frequently report negatively on the Trump administration and conservative policy such as this AI algorithms intended to root out welfare fraud often end up punishing the poor instead. Besides advocating for racial justice they also support LGBTQ rights, worker’s rights, and environmental justice. In general, the news is reported factually and with a left-leaning bias in story selection and editorial positions
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Chicago Reporter Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that mostly favor a liberal perspective. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/16/2016) Updated (7/30/2020)
Last Updated on July 30, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am