- Overall, we rate The Blaze strongly Right Biased and Questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories and numerous failed fact checks.
Questionable Reasoning: Conspiracy Theories, Propaganda, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2011, The Blaze is an American conservative pay television network and website founded by talk radio personality Glenn Beck, based in Irving, Texas. The Blaze has studios and offices based in the Las Colinas urban district in Irving and Los Angeles. On December 3, 2018, The Blaze’s television arm merged with CRTV, the subscription video arm of Conservative Review.
Funded by / Ownership
Blaze Media LLC owns Blaze Media. Advertising and video generate revenue for Blaze Media.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Blaze reports news with a far-right bias that utilizes strong loaded words such as New Jersey Democrats propose a gerrymandering plan that would give them a permanent majority. This story is sourced correctly from mainstream media outlets. Story selection almost always favors the right on The Blaze, and there is a heavy Christian bias. Again, The Blaze typically sources information appropriately but is selective in the stories they run and how they are presented to favor the right.
A 2014 Pew Research Survey found that 7% of The Blaze’s audience is consistently or mostly liberal, 8% Mixed, and 85% always or mostly conservative. This indicates that a more conservative audience strongly prefers them.
During the 2020 Presidential election, The Blaze advanced conspiracy theories related to election fraud. Further, during the Covid-19 pandemic, they have made inaccurate claims. See Fact Checks below. In 2022, The Blaze continues to promote misinformation regarding Covid-19. Amazingly, the media reviewer Newsguard still grants this source a green shield of credibility. We are unsure how much false information they require, but it must be a lot.
Failed Fact Checks
- [O]ne of the previously fastest shrinking glaciers in the world is growing again, calling into question the narrative that rapid climate change […] poses a significant threat to the existence of the human race – False
- A high school in Tempe, Arizona, banned patriotic apparel and Trump shirts from a football game. – False
- The girl was flown to a military hospital where physicians found DNA from 30 men inside her young body. – False
- “Pro-mask study withdrawn after the virus spread in counties analyzed by researchers”; “masks don’t work” – Incorrect
- “1,000+ mail-in-ballots found in a dumpster in California.” – False
- Pennsylvania rejected 372,000 mail-in ballots – False
- Sweden obliterates the lie of ‘vaccines’ as ticket to ending pandemic” mass vaccination create vaccine-mediated viral enhancement – Inaccurate
- A preprint of an ivermectin study in the Brazilian city of Itajaí found that prophylactic ivermectin reduced COVID-19 hospitalization and mortality by half. – Unsupported
- “Scottish data shows that the Covid-19 age-standardized case rate is highest among the two-dose vaccinated and lowest among unvaccinated! It further shows this trend of negative efficacy for the double-vaccinated persisting for hospitalizations and deaths.” – False
Overall, we rate The Blaze strongly Right Biased and Questionable based on the promotion of conspiracy theories and numerous failed fact checks. (7/19/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 01/29/2022)
Last Updated on January 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Black Main Streetby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WCAXby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 24, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/23/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Science.Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 23, 2022 at 8:00 am