These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Calgary Sun, Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the right and Mostly Factual for reporting, rather than High due to a lack of sourcing and scientific positions that do not align with the consensus of science.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Read our profile on the Canadian government’s influence on media.
Funded by / Ownership
The Calgary Sun is owned by PostMedia, which owns several right-leaning media outlets throughout Canada. According to a report in the left-leaning CanadaLand, PostMedia has directed its publications to be more “reliably conservative.” The newspaper is funded through advertising and subscription fees.
Chatham Asset Management, a New Jersey-based hedge fund, holds a large equity stake in Postmedia and majority ownership of American Media Inc., which owns the National Enquirer. David Pecker, who owns American Media, Inc., joined the Postmedia board and then resigned from the board of Postmedia in 2018 due to his involvement in hush payments on behalf of his “friends,” including President Trump and Harvey Weinstein.
According to the National Observer, PostMedia is in a downward spiral. After Postmedia announced a $1.4M loss for the last quarter of 2018, Paul Godfrey stepped down as CEO of the Postmedia Network and was replaced by Andrew MacLeod as of 1/10/2019. Godfrey will remain as executive chair. Godfrey was also criticized for cutting 800 full-time jobs across Postmedia in 2016 while earning an annual salary of $1.7 million. For a list of directors and upper management, please see here.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Calgary Sun reports local news with minimal to moderate bias in wording such as this: Calgary mom charged with assaulting a child while livestreaming video game. The Sun also re-publishes articles from credible sources such as the Associated Press; however, they poorly source their news. When they do, they utilize their flagship publication, the Toronto Sun, and rarely use hyperlinks. Further, The Sun also publishes its daily Sunshine Girls section, adapted from British tabloids.
Editorially, CEO Paul Godfrey ordered all 16 major Postmedia papers, including the Calgary Sun, to endorse Stephen Harper of the Conservative Party in the 2015 federal elections. Further, when it comes to science, The Sun casts doubt on human-influenced climate change and thus rejects the consensus of science. Finally, editorials are frequently negative when reporting on liberals and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, such as this: Bell: Wounded Trudeau tries to save his butt.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Calgary Sun, Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the right and Mostly Factual for reporting, rather than High due to a lack of sourcing and scientific positions that do not align with the consensus of science. (D. Van Zandt 11/12/2016) Updated (05/13/2022)
Last Updated on May 13, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Taliban enforces face-cover order for female TV anchorsby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 2:43 pm
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am