Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Bill Moyers is a retired American news reporter and journalist. In 2012 Bill Moyers launched the website BillMoyers.com (Moyers on Democracy), which combines a blog featuring essays and videos by managing editor Bill Moyers and the perspectives of other journalists, scholars, activists, and creative men and women in the arts and sciences. The site also includes a video archive of Bill Moyers’s 40-plus year journalism career, offering nearly 1,000 archived programs, video clips, and online-original segments (Billmoyers.com). Moyers has won countless journalism awards throughout his career.
Funded by / Ownership
BillMoyers.com is owned by the nonprofit Schumann Media Center, Inc., which generally supports liberal organizations. There does not appear to be a source of revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, BillMoyers.com mainly publishes commentary that favors the liberal and progressive left. Articles and headlines often contain loaded emotional wording, such as this America’s Dirty Divide: How Environmental Racism Leaves the Vulnerable Behind. The story is republished from the factually mixed Guardian. Other articles are written by reporters, such as The Difference Between Yelling Fire and Setting One. For the most part, all stories favor the left and denigrate the right and are reasonably sourced.
Editorially, all stories favor the left. However, during the 2020 election, we did find evidence of misleading information such as this Stamp Out the Trump Attacks on Our Postal Service! This was debunked here Postmaster General Defends His Actions In Acrimonious Marathon House Hearing. In general, the news is reported factually with a significant liberal/progressive bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate BillMoyers.com Left Biased based on editorial positions that almost always favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency with funding and sometimes relying on poor sources. (D. Van Zandt 2/25/2017) Updated (04/01/2022)
Last Updated on April 1, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am