These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Austin American-Statesman Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1871, The Austin American-Statesman is the major daily newspaper for Austin, the capital city of Texas. The current editor is John Bridges.
Funded by / Ownership
The Austin American-Statesman is owned by Gannett (Gatehouse Media), publishing USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Austin American-Statesman publishes local news through reporters with minimal use of loaded emotional language: Fires set as Austin protests against police violence spread, scatter. National and international news is republished through the Associated Press and other USA Today Network stories.
Editorially, the Austin American-Statesman has endorsed Democratic Presidential candidates more often than Republicans. However, they did not endorse a candidate during the last two elections. The news is generally reported factually and with a slight left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Austin American-Statesman Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/12/2017) Updated (03/15/2022)
Last Updated on March 15, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- First-quarter GDP declined 1.5%, worse than thought; jobless claims edge lowerby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 6:40 pm
- A massive new study confirms vaccinated people are still at risk of long COVIDby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 4:43 pm
- Senate GOP planning to block domestic terrorism bill that Democrats have tied to gunsby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 3:43 pm
- How the NRA evolved from backing a 1934 ban on machine guns to blocking nearly all firearm restrictions todayby newsfactsnetwork on May 26, 2022 at 1:47 pm
- ‘WHO Has No Authority to Dictate U.S. Health Policy’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 26, 2022 at 1:43 pm