These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias, but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate the American Medical Association (AMA) Pro-science based on the support for the consensus of science on medical issues. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to the use of credible sources and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1847, The American Medical Association (AMA) is the largest association of physicians, both MDs and DO, and medical students in the United States. According to their about page “The AMA is a powerful ally in patient care, giving strength to physician voices in courts and legislative bodies across the nation. The AMA is dedicated to driving medicine toward a more equitable future, removing obstacles that interfere with patient care and confronting the nation’s greatest public health crises.” Their mission is “to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.”
The Association also publishes the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). The current President of the AMA is Susan R. Bailey MD.
Funded by / Ownership
The American Medical Association is funded through donations and membership fees. Top donors and members are from the pharmaceutical industry such as Phrma, Merck, Novartis, and Pfizer.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the American Medical Association is one of the largest lobbying groups in the USA spending millions each election cycle. According to Open Secrets they fund both Democratic and Republican candidates, however historically they fund Republicans more. For example, in 2016, they funded 63.25% to Republican Candidates. The primary aim of the AMA is to maximize doctors’ earnings. As such they are opposed to universal single-payer health care but do support the Affordable Care Act and the goal of insuring as many people as possible.
The website publishes news that is generally geared toward physicians and medical practices such as this Physician practices are losing out in the scramble for PPE. They also publish medicine-related news that often links to other sources such as Johns Hopkins University. While they don’t report directly on politics, they do provide opinions on policy that is sometimes favorable of President Trump, such as this AMA applauds Trump Administration’s creation of opioids commission. However, they also take a pro-science approach that is not in line with the Trump administration such as not recommending hydroxychloroquine. They have also opposed President Trump on family planning, AMA, Planned Parenthood Challenge Trump Family-Planning Rule. In general, the AMA is a lobbying association that favors doctors but promotes pro-science medical information.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the American Medical Association (AMA) Pro-science based on the support for the consensus of science on medical issues. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to the use of credible sources and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 7/7/2020) Updated (06/29/2022)
Last Updated on June 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm