On Wednesday President Donald Trump took to twitter to finally address the possibility that he secretly recorded his conversations with ousted, former FBI director James Comey.
Trump in a series of tweets admitted that he personally did not make any secret tapes of his conversations with James Comey.
With all of the recently reported electronic surveillance, intercepts, unmasking and illegal leaking of information, I have no idea…(1/2)
whether there are “tapes” or recordings of my conversations with James Comey, but I did not make, and do not have, any such recordings.(2/2)
The admission by the President clears up 6 weeks of speculation that the President secretly monitored the former FBI director.
The President had previously tweeted “James Comey better hope that there are no “tapes” of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!” hinting at such a possibility. This initially led many people to believe that the President was trying to intimidate Comey, who soon after testified in front of the Senate Intelligence Committee, which is investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election.
Comey later in the hearing when confronted said “Lordy, I hope there are tapes”
Comey, who leaked his personal memos to a news reporter, said it was a result of feeling “deeply uncomfortable” after the President’s initial tweet suggesting that there was recordings. Comey had apparently hoped that the leaking would lead to the appointment of a special counsel.
Robert Mueller was appointed as special counsel as a direct result of Trumps tweet 6 weeks ago.
The admission by the President on Thursday means the accounting of what was said during these conversations now rests on one man’s word against the other.
By Aaron O’Leary – Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WFMZby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am